Friday, October 12, 2012

Project: Chrismons

As an adult and a mother of precious boy/girl twins, I want to bring Christ back to Christmas. I want my children to understand their Christian history and God's saving Grace.  Chrismons are symbols used by early Christians as a symbol of faith as well as representing biblical and theological concepts.
Last Christmas, the twins were 22 months, we decided to decorate a small, artificial evergreen tree on top of our bar. This way we could keep the children from pulling the decorations off the tree and we could have some decorations in the house.  We added non-breakable decorations to the tree including a silver star Emma and Nathaniel made in the church nursery.  This silver star was the start of our Chrismon project.
This year we are going to have felt Chrismons on a bigger tree hopefully in our dining room. We might have to hide the wrapped gifts in another part of the house- I suspect twins would rip through the paper as soon as the boxes go under the tree -

Last night, I started cutting out my pieces from a pattern I found at Sunday School Kids.  I'm going to make mine three dimensional, by adding stuffing to the patterns and gold glitter glue where appropriate. The Jerusalem star will be designed using gold glittery felt.



No comments:

Post a Comment