Wednesday, January 2, 2013

Hand made Christmas gifts - hair jewelry

I finally finished my mixed media hair jewelry in time for Christmas!  Not just any hair jewelry, but sparkly star hair clips made with german glass glitter. German glass glitter is unique because it contains ground up glass and sterling silver which will tarnish over time and create a vintage look to the glitter. My small stars are about 1.5 inches and my large stars are approximately 2.5 inches in height and length. I used a die cut cardstock star as a template to cut wool felt, then I hand sewed the stars together. This project was time consuming because I had to let the glitter dry over a period of three days. I also had to do it at night after my children were asleep since they find the sparkly glitter so enchanting and would like to play with it.  It's all I can do to keep my two year old daughter from playing with the finished hair clips. I've promised her that I will make her some like mommies, but not with the glass glitter!

Silver stars on copper bobby pins given to one of my cousins





made this large star hair clip/brooch for my cousin who loves turquoise jewelry

and kept this one for myself...



No comments:

Post a Comment