Wednesday, November 30, 2016

The Three Second Half Halt

Nothing like taking a riding lesson from your trainer while her dressage instructor hangs out at the barn. My trainer is taking dressage lessons from a notable dressage instructor, who only works with professionals. So I'm trying to ride like he is not sitting near the arena, soaking in the sunshine, watching me...he was probably watching her teach.

So I learned a new concept today. Previously, Kelsey showed me how to use my hands in a zig zagging motion, not sawing on the reins, so that the horse's head goes side to side and back and forth -- which looks atrocious and probably feels the same --  I gently squeeze the reins with my hands. Right hand, squeeze, left hand squeeze   half halts to remind him, I'm up here and hey, are you listening...don't look at the woods at the end of the arena...listen to me, no, don't speed up...

Today, we took it a little more extreme, still not see sawing his mouth, so that his head swings from side to side but that he listens to me and drops his head and engages his behind. Really listening to me. I heard her ask if I could feel anything in the reins. Why yes, and I'm gently squeezing one hand and then the other - I think I'm doing great. But she says she can't see my arms move. Why would my arms move? I'm just using my hands.

Then she says, to squeeze and pull back on the rein for three seconds, release that hand and repeat on the other side. Well, that made a big difference in our riding! He really collected himself, especially when I applied my calves to his side while doing the 3 second half halt. Total control. He was not going anywhere I didn't want him.

Then we did some canter work and it was fabulous! He really has a lovely canter. I felt like I was out cantering across a pasture at my family's farm. It was that much fun!

We are using yet another bit, the Kimberwick Uster Snaffle bit gives me a lot of leverage and control without head tossing like the Dressage-Pelham-Bits/FES-Snaffle-Elite-Pelham/ used with double reins.  The transition from canter to trot to walk was smooth and almost seamless. Wow! This is how it's supposed to happen!

.

No comments:

Post a Comment