Tuesday, December 27, 2016

Riding on the Lunge line

December riding Lessons were spent on a lunge line. I was quite apprehensive at first, even though the time I had spent with Kai Handt 25 years ago was on a lunge line.
Once I got used to not having reins to depend on for balance, she started me holding my hands on my hips, I progressed to hands on my helmet, which was annoying because the headband I was wearing to keep my ears warm in the 35 degree weather would slip into my eyes. But that's another story.
As I progressed each week, the lunge lessons grew harder, not only was I holding my arms straight in front of me (zombie arms), roller coaster arms (straight up), out to the side but I was twisting to the outside and the inside with each of those positions at the trot.

A couple of days before Christmas, she had me ride with my arms above my head at the canter and twisting inside/outside, it was the most incredible feeling. I think she thought I was petrified, but I felt like I was flying. At first, I was nervous, but I realized Silver was not going anywhere but in a circle. I wasn't going to come off. So why was I worried?  Head up, eyes off the sand, looking ahead, stay balanced, canter, hold you arms up and twist to the right, now to the left.  This has seriously been the best abdominal work out ever!  I was sore for a couple of days which has really made me more aware of my lack of abdominal strength, so I'm constantly engaging my abs instead of letting it all hang out. It's been almost 7 years since I had the twins and I'm ready to get serious with my lack of core strength.

So two days after Christmas, Kelsey has me back on the lunge line with the EquiCube - a 5 pound rubber block with handles. So zombie arms holding the Equicube in front of me at the canter - I wanted to throw it at my trainer - I'm so weak.  Then she had me hold it over my head at the canter. I wondered if my helmet could handle the weight as it crashed on top of my head from my weak arms. I don't know the answer to that because I mustered all my strength to keep it above my head, it was akin to a military press. 7 hours later I can really feel it in the top of my shoulders.
And much to my surprise, I got to ride Silver with my reins!  And over a course of a month, riding on the lunge line has developed my core and given me increased stability. He stumbled and I remained balanced.  He started off at a slow canter and increased his speed and not only did I stay on, I remained balanced in the saddle and was able to transition to a beautiful stop while remaining balanced.  I was balanced, he was balanced.

I came away with a new realization today. I know that my feet pronate and this is a problem when I ride as my heels are in contact with the horse instead of my calves. But this month has really emphasized my foot/calf/leg position. Today I realized when I really turn my toes in towards the horse, my whole leg has to work, I can really feel my thighs working to stay balanced. A long time ago, a respected horsewoman had said riders shouldn't use their thighs to hold on to the horse especially when bareback. How the heck am I going to stay on then?  I think she meant to say, the whole leg is supposed to be connected to the horse, not just the thigh.  She was talking about the "ride a buck" bareback class. It's easy to keep the buck  under your thigh when walking and in the sitting trot, but not as much posting or cantering. But I digress..

I told my trainer I hoped we could continue the lunge lessons in the future because I can really feel my core working. It also helps me get over whatever fears I might be harboring about my beautiful grey gelding. That fall in July really set me back - no pun intended - in my riding.

No comments:

Post a Comment