Tuesday, October 11, 2016

Back in the Saddle Again...

When my kids were diagnosed as being on the Autism Spectrum I stopped blogging . It took my husband well over a year to even talk to someone outside our family about our kids struggle with Autism. I spent most of the first year after the diagnosis schlepping the kids from therapy to therapy, I became Therapy Mom, My kids participated in ABA therapy at UT Southwestern's ABA clinic twice a week (three hours each day), speech therapy, occupational therapy and Natty even had physical therapy.  They were enrolled in specialized preschool, with four kids to one teacher ratio!

As my children's lives have improved, so has my life. Last fall, my children started therapeutic riding lessons at Equest Therapeutic Horsemanshp Center at the Texas Horsepark location. I started taking riding lessons, after 6 years of not riding, at a small barn, Cedar Haven in Cedar Hills about 40 minutes from my home in Dallas.  My husband and I had sold our horse, Royal Krew, to some good friends who moved to California in 2011.  This past August, I purchased a retired thoroughbred race horse, Silver I.D. and we went to our first horse show this past weekend. It's been 25 years since I showed a horse but I remember riding bigger fences when I was younger at my first show.

I won Reserve Champion in my Walk/Trot division - yay, I beat beginning children riders! How callous of me.  When I was in my twenties I had only been riding hunters for a couple of years when I started competing. I was thrilled when I beat younger riders, it seemed to me they had more time to ride and train, than I did as a recent college grad working in retail management. So here I am an older mom of twins on the Autism Spectrum with my mommy roundness, on my very tall, flea bitten grey thoroughbred, Silver...yes, I'm back in the saddle again.

No comments:

Post a Comment