Tuesday, October 11, 2016

Flying Emergency Dismounts among other things

I had a minor riding setback this summer, when the horse I was riding, spooked and I had to make an emergency flying dismount.  It was the best canter I had ever had while riding Silver, when suddenly the horse in front of us spooked. Suddenly I saw my feet in front of my face.  Feet should decidedly not be in front of your face when riding, so I knew it was time for a flying dismount... I landed with a thud on my back in the wet arena sand and immediately thought, "I am way too old for this crap!"  I managed to get onto my hands and knees and sorta crawl away from the horses but it took me what seemed like an eternity to actually stand up. I had to "climb" the arena fence until I could straighten up. Then it took another 20 minutes until I was able to get on Silver.
I watched the rest of my class enjoy "pony camp" and then I trotted a couple of laps around the arena, cantered over a low fence and I was done. My back was killing me!

To shorten the story, I purchased Silver in August but didn't ride him for several weeks until I felt like I could ride without pain or actually get on him without pain.  So I decided to curtail jumping, mainly because I didn't feel like I could actually canter until the sciatic pain stopped.  My trainer and I worked on dressage, suppling the horse, bending, half halts, sitting trot and posting trot. I went to a horse show over the weekend and had just started cantering the previous Tuesday. It had been over two months since I had jumped anything!

While I was recuperating from my mishap, I designed some new jewelry for my Etsy shop, vowangems



Blue Green Aquamarines on hand forged sterling silver ear wires

Copper Rutilated Quartz and Carnelian Rosary Chain Dangle Earrings


Garnet and Fire Opal Sterling Silver Dangle Earrings


Titanium Blue Drusy, Garnets and Bali Gold Vermeil Dangle Earrings 




and one of my favorite necklaces: 

Silver Drusy Tassel Necklace





No comments:

Post a Comment