Saturday, October 15, 2016

Don't judge a box by its cover

So my husband and I moved our family three days before Christmas 2015. I almost killed him for moving our household right before Christmas. The kids didn't have beds, we provided sleeping bags and pillows and they thought it was great fun, camping indoors. Our new house was piled high with moving boxes. I was able to find most of the kids Christmas gifts in time for Saint Nicholas' visit to our new home. I'm still finding gifts from last Christmas, I'll just wrap them and give them this year, right?

We've unpacked all of the boxes in the house, but quite a few remain in the garage and my new art studio. I've been missing some horse tack for what seems like months - 10 most likely -  Two weeks ago, my husband decided it was time to move the minivan into the garage. Not sure why he decided it was time, the spring thunderstorms and tornados have passed us by safely, I might add.

Although, the week between Christmas and New Year's Eve was especially scary for North Texas. We had been experiencing especially mild winter weather, when one evening the temperatures dropped about 30 degrees and we had a thunderstorm. We hadn't been in our new house a week, when the tornado alert sirens started blaring.  We stared at the tv watching the tornado's direction - coming right toward our house- My brother - in - law called us and said not to stand next to the windows. In our new house, it's hard not to stand near a window or a French door leading outside, plenty of light in this house as opposed to the ranch house cavern we used to live in. I was mentally assessing the situation, could I lower the children through the  pier and beam access holes in the kitchen or utility room faster when he called. And luckily for us, the tornado changed direction, but not so lucky for hundreds of people living in Rowlett and Garland. They lost homes, loved ones,  pets, cars, etc. We knew people who lost everything when the tornado rampaged through their neighborhood.

So my husband cleared out a spot in the garage for the minivan. He found some storage containers  labeled Lights and Christmas, so naturally I opened the boxes expecting to find Christmas lights. Much to my delight, I discovered 4 headstalls, 5 bits, 5 sets of leather braided reins, only 1 green shipping boot, 4 green polo wraps, a breast plate, a martingale, 3 sets of stirrup leathers including one set still in package, a cavasson, lunge line, bent out of shape lunge whip, various training aids but nothing in a complete set, and some western equipment. I was overjoyed to find my pelham double bridle and my first nice flat leather hunt bridle!  Today I oiled Dolly's leather halter,and 4 english bridles along with 5 sets of reins.  Perhaps next week, I will tackle the martingale, breast plate and english stirrup leathers. I told my trainer with all this equipment, I needed another horse - like a hole in the head -



No comments:

Post a Comment